» HISTORY OF STATE CREATION IN NIGERIA
The Post Colonial Nigeria state formally existed under regions. This regional arrangement created an alleged fear on the ethnic minorities who always feared that their rights for ethnic existence would be impelled by the majority ethnic groups. In solving this problem the government of General Yakubu Gowon considered state Creation as imperative strategy for peaceful co-habitation in the country. He had by may 1967 created 12 States from the former regions (North, West , East and Mid-Westetn Region). Hence one can add here that Gowon's action was informed by the secessionist threats of the people from the Eastern region led by Col Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu. At this point state creation became imperative so as to keep the country one, and stable and more so, to eliminate the fear of the minority ethnic groups being dominanted by the major ethnic groups.
The first 12 state created in 1967 by Gen Yakubu Gowon were : North East, South East, Benue-Plateau, East Central, Kano, Kwara, Lagos, Midwest, North West, North Central, Rivers, & South Western State.
On 1st October 1975, General Murtala Muhammad during a National Day broadcast announced that the creation of more state would ensure a united, stronger and self relient country. Therefore in 1976 additional states were created; Sokoto, Niger, Plateau, Benue, Ondo, Oyo, Kaduna, Bauchi, Imo, Ogun, Borno, Bendel, Gongola, Cross River, & Anambra
In 1987 General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida Created two more states Katsina and Akwa Ibom. In 1991 He added; Jigawa, Kogi, Delta, Enugu, Edo & Adamawa.
Finally General Sani Abacha embarked on more states creation where he created; Zamfara, Bayelsa, Gombe, Ekiti, Ebonyi, & Nassarawa.
Some Fact you should know :
- No state was created during a civilian rule in Nigeria.
- All the 36 State that exist today in Nigeria were created by Military Head of State
- Gen Yakubu Gowon, Gen Murtala Muhammad, Gen IBB, & General Sani Abacha were behind the creation of all the 36 states in Nigeria.
- All the military head of state who embarked on state creation were from the North
- Gowon Created 12, Murtala 7, IBB 11 and Abacha 6.
- in what could be considered as the geo political zones in Nigeria, The Southeast are left with 5 states at the expense of others with 6 each & the Northwest with 7 states
Aliyu Musa Jr.
6th March 2021We Africa Proud https://wap.org.ngAuthor: adex3g 6 months
0 Comment . 0
Like . 83 Views .