Frequent question asked by new programmers is: ‘Which programming language is lucrative?’ Considering ones region, experience and what is required at that point in time, all of these could make the question a bit hard to answer. I remember asking myself the same when I started my journey. The hard truth is that none of the programming language is lucrative if nothing was done to make them lucrative.
I decided to write about this, few days after my students asked me: ‘Mr. Austin, which programming language should we start up with and how profitable is it in Nigeria?’ It didn’t stop /there; I have also come across this question from colleagues, new bees in IT and some undergraduates in computer science.
To answer in good faith, Java is one the most popular and profitable programming language but in Nigeria most Java programmers are broke. And the same goes to other programmers in Ruby, Python and C++. In as much as many are broke, an average Java programmer salary in the US can reach 80k dollars per year according to Glassdoor. In developed countries, developers who have in-depth knowledge of the widely used programming language like Java, Python, etc, are sought after.
Many regions in Africa believed to have other priorities than software developments and deployments. In Nigeria, so many people do not know the power of software in business development. We have petty traders who don’t care about leveraging on software to boast their business.
At the time of writing this, I can tell you that Nigerian government is not investing in education and as well does not support the growth of indigenous software developers and companies. The lacks of accountability in leadership, safety and rule of law have subjected many Nigerians to live in poverty.
In order to survive, many thought of learning any popular programming language to get rich quickly and without passion, patience and problem solving skills. Nigeria ended up having few Nigerian programmers; abundance mediocre programmers than quality programmers.
It is not the language that determines the profitability of a programmer. I know of a man who only code in VBASIC but are making a lots of money than a Python programmer. It is good to have a good market research on what work in your location. Choosing a programming language to start first shouldn’t be a problem. What matters is that you are good developer. You can start with any programming language and once you learn one, the others become easier to learn.
I will only list 6 popular and lucrative programming language and their uses
1. Swift: Swift is a powerful and intuitive programming language. It is a general purpose, multi-paradigm, compile programming language developed by Apple Inc. the language is used for deep learning, iOS Apps; iPadOS, macOS, tvOS, watchOS and IOT.
2. Python: Python is an interpreted, multi-purpose programming language. It is often used Web Apps, Machine learning, Data visualization and data science.
3. C++: C++ is an object oriented programming language created by Danish computer scientist Bjarme Stroustrup as an extension of C programming language. It can be used in building Games, browsers, operating systems, Database and embedded system.
4. Java: Java is a high level, class-based, object oriented programming language that is designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. Java is used for building android apps, desktop applications, web applications and big data.
5. C#: C# also known as C-Sharp, is a programming language developed by Microsoft that runs on .Net Framework. C# is used in game development, system programming, IOT, real time system and web, mobile and desktop applications.
I think I have taken my time to crack down every detail you need to know. There are other programming languages not listed. You can always start with one, even with the one not listed here. They are lucrative.
Share with us with the ones you are into. And you can also drop a comment to let us know some languages that are very much lucrative or profitable in your region.